Skip to main content

Poetry is Dead

 


That rangey boy 

with wild hair and eyes,

scampering across golden fields,

ducking in and out of hollows,

scooping up polliwogs 

in the ditches that lined the gravel lanes.

An uncorrupted spirit, 

exuberant in the dream world of freedom and ideas. 

That boy was a poet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Lonely Campaign

When they turn the pages of history When these days have passed long ago Will they read of us with sadness For the seeds that we let grow? We turned our gaze From the castles in the distance Eyes cast down On the path of least resistance -A Farewell to Kings, Rush (1977) 5:27 p.m. on a Wednesday afternoon in August. It’s 95 degrees out, but the concrete street corner of the busiest intersection in the city feels considerably warmer. It’s the height of rush hour and cars buzz busily by from all points of the compass. Bob stands alone on the corner. He is tall and appears to be in his sixties, but he looks youthful for his age so it’s hard to tell. He wears baggy shorts, a white t-shirt, HOKA running shoes, a sun hat, and sunglasses. Over his head, he hoists a hand-made poster scrawled with the message “No ICE!” The opposite side of his sign proclaims, “No Kings!” in carefully printed black marker. An American flag adorns the upper left-hand corner of both sides of the placard. For the p...

Intersections

  Image courtesy of Syriac Press The signal turns red just before we arrive at the intersection. There is no cross-traffic to trigger the light. It’s just shy of 6 a.m. and the gray streets are empty except for the occasional work truck festooned with implements of the landscaper’s trade. But municipal functionaries are failing if traffic is flowing, so I curse under my breath as we wait for phantom cars to pass. When the danger subsides and the light triggers green, we wheel into the parking lot and roll nose-first up to our spot against the chain-link fence protecting the fields of play.  We’ve done this a thousand times before. It’s the morning ritual. Every day, I awake at first light to the sounds of Joji grunting, snorting, sneezing, and shaking. When it becomes evident that these noises will increase in both frequency and volume if I pretend to ignore them, I give up and get up, pour coffee, grab the harness and leash, and start for the duck park. Although this Groundho...

The Death of Mirth

 Isak stopped reading and set down his novel. Something Ivan said struck him with such honest brutality that he had to sit silent and reflect on it for a moment. During Ivan’s meeting with Alyosha in the Metropolis tavern, before Ivan narrates his now most-famous fable, he tells his younger brother: “I know that my youth will triumph over everything – every disillusionment, every disgust with life. I’ve asked myself many times whether there is in the world any despair that would overcome this frantic and perhaps unseemly thirst for life in me, and I’ve come to the conclusion that there isn’t, that is till I am thirty, and then I shall lose it to myself I fancy. Some driveling consumptive moralist – and poets especially – often call that thirst for life base. It is a feature of the Karamazovs it is true, that thirst for life regardless of everything; you have it no doubt too, but why is it base?” The youthful and triumphant zest for life Isak already understood. But he had not previ...