Skip to main content

The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread (or Old Man Yells at Idioms)

 


The other day I heard someone use the expression “put your John Hancock here.” I’ve obviously heard that phrase used many time in my life just like everyone else. It’s a commonly-used idiom that means “please put your signature on this document.” The phrase is an allusion to John Hancock, the first signator to the Declaration of Independence, who deliberately made his signature on that document excessively prominent so that King George would be able to read his name. It was a “fuck you” to the British monarch on top of a “fuck you” to the British monarch. And it had resonance. So much so that almost 250 years later, we’re still referencing it in our daily speech. 

As significant as Hancock’s act is from a historical perspective, the phrase it spawned is antiquated. It’s one of those hokey grandmaisms like “get off your high horse” or “living high on the hog” that has been repeated so often that it is now engrained in our vernacular. Use any of those phrases with the current generation and you’ll get a blank stare. Not because they don’t know about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. It’s just that riding on a big horse or eating the best parts of a pig doesn’t carry the cache’ it once did. And events that happened hundreds of years ago have no relevance to day-to-day contemporary life. Progressive Insurance Company recognizes this and pokes fun at it in its “becoming your parents” commercials. And yet, those dumb phrases are still forced on our youth by continued and repeated usage. 

Which brings me to “it’s the best thing since sliced bread,” an idiom that means something is exceptionally good, innovative, and useful. The phrase dates back to 1928 when a guy named Otto Frederick Rohwedder invented a machine that would slice whole loaves of bread. Before that, bread was sold in uncut loafs that your granny had to slice manually. Rohwedder’s device was a seismic development that liberated folks from the burden and drudgery of having to actually slice a piece of bread. In fact, the invention was apparently such a monumental achievement of innovation and good old American know-how that we started using it as a benchmark for excellence and utility by adoption of the phrase “the best thing since sliced bread.” And we’re still using it almost 100 years later. 

Here’s the really comical thing about that. The benchmark here is sliced bread. And the subtext of the saying is that there have been no innovations that have been as monumental to human kind as the bread-slicing machine. Not electric automobiles. Not flat screen televisions. Not the internet. Not streaming. Not smart phones. Not even paved streets. Instead, bread. All of those inventions have been trumped in importance, innovation, utility, and creativity by a slice of bread. If that wasn’t the case, we’d all be saying “it’s the best thing since the internet” instead.

There’s a whole host of silly idioms derived from the past that are just as prevalent – close but no cigar, jumping on the bandwagon, take it with a grain of salt, keep your nose to the grindstone, and many, many more. They are all woefully outdated and harken back to a pre-industrial time that no longer exists and few relate to. So why do we parrot pilgrims, pioneers, and homesteaders that rode around on low horses, ate the shittiest part of the hog, and had to cut their own bread? Our vocabulary should reflect our time, not theirs. So rise up and rebel my brothers and sisters! Banish those musty old sayings to the place they rightfully belong: the history books.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Coyote Ugly

  This piece was first published in Volume 25 of Sky Island Journal . An encounter with a coyote one evening on a local trail was both the inspiration and a reminder of the burden I've been carrying around for a number of decades.  Coyote Ugly The canid materialized from the brush and onto the fire road in front of me like an apparition. Until he emerged into the clearing, I hadn’t noticed him. He moved invisibly through the gray-brown chaparral, his muted coat the perfect cloaking device for one whose existence depends upon stealth and surprise. Standing perhaps twenty yards distant, he was large and lithe as coyotes ought to be. I immediately paused when I saw him. Not out of apprehension, but instead awe and admiration. Coyote yelps, barks, and howls are commonplace in this place, but the boisterous culprits usually prefer to remain anonymous and unseen.  The coyote briefly paused too and looked my way. Not out of awe and admiration, but instead apprehension. The hoots and holle

The Real Real

  South Bakersfield and I’m on the wrong side of the railroad tracks again. I’m not lost and I didn’t take a wrong turn. It was a deliberate choice to come here. The smattering of dhabas that punctuate this broken stretch of road home to trucking companies, taco stands, and skeezy bars brought me here. The magnetism of roadside dal, paneer, and curry is a potent, epicurean draw. In my blue collared shirt, green club tie, and mustard-hued dress slacks, I’m an anomaly here. Moving amongst husky fellows in oily jump suits, leathery farm hands, and dark, exotic men chattering away in Hindi , I feel like I’ve breached exclusive space. Like I’m not good enough to be here. Or perhaps it’s the opposite. I realize how egotistical that might sound, but I don’t know how else to explain the social discomfort from the flipped script. But no one gives me the side-eye. I’m invisible. And even if I wasn’t, it wouldn’t really deter me. I’m on a pilgrimage of sorts, a personal Kumbh Mela to the sacred

Hammers and Hoes

  Mitch Robbins : Danny was embarrassed to tell the class what my job is. Barbara Robbins : They’re nine. They get excited about the guy who gives them change at the arcade. You just happen to have one of those jobs that’s difficult to… Mitch Robbins : …believe that a grown man does without losing his mind. I mean, what is my job? I mean, I sell advertising time on the radio. So basically, I sell air. At least my father was an upholsterer, he made a sofa or a couch, you sit on, it was something tangible. What can I point to? Where’s my work? It’s air! ~City Slickers I’ve decided that I like physical labor. Swinging the pick axe until I’m panting hard and my shoulders ache. Shoveling dirt until sweat drips from my face and stings my eyes. Ripping up sod in the cool morning air. Attacking militant weeds, edging an unruly lawn, re-staining a weather-faded fence, and fixing non-functioning fixtures. I really don’t mind doing any of it. In fact, I quite enjoy it. It’s an expedient to a good